Lawrence v Thomas Cook

 

The claimant, who was aged three at the date of the onset of illness and seven at the approval hearing, suffered an acute gastrointestinal illness, including symptoms of fever, diarrhoea, abdominal pain and vomiting.

She went on a family holiday to Egypt in September 2012. The claimant's symptoms started on 22 September 2012. She experienced symptoms of diarrhoea, abdominal pain and extreme tiredness, followed by sickness. Two days later her mother was so concerned about her welfare that she was taken to hospital. She was put on a drip and kept in hospital overnight, and subsequently discharged with medication to help with the vomiting and diarrhoea.

The claimant was ill for the rest of the holiday. In total, her symptoms persisted from 22 September until 2 October 2012. There was no recurrence of her symptoms and none were expected in the future.

The medical expert advised that the claimant developed infective gastroenteritis while on holiday in Egypt. It was likely that the gastroenteritis resulted from ingesting water from the hotel swimming pool or food or drink which had become contaminated due to poor standards of hygiene at the hotel.

Lexis Nexis

 

Subscribe to Updates
Subscribe to:
Like   Back to Top   Seen 3 times   Liked 0 times

Subscribe to Updates

If you enjoyed this, why not subscribe to free email updates ?

Subscribe to Blog updates

Enter your email address to be notified of new posts:

Subscribe to:

Alternatively, you can subscribe via RSS

‹ Return to Blog

We never share or sell your email address to anyone.

I've already subscribed / don't show me this again

Recent Posts

Lincolnshire firm fined after worker fell 7m from forklift truck

| 03rd August 2017 | Personal Injury

Lincolnshire firm fined after worker fell 7m from forklift truck A worker suffered serious injuries when he fell while carrying out maintenance work at a Lincolnshire seafood processing factory, a jury was told. Virginius Kurselis was standing inside a box held up by a forklift truck when he fell seven metres while painting at the Fishgate Ltd factory at Brookenby near Market Rasen. Mr Kurselis spent four weeks on hospital and underwent two operations as a result of injuries he received as a result of the fall in July 2013. His left leg was shattered and his right foot was broken. He also suffered a cracked pelvis and a dislocated right arm. Robert Stevenson, prosecuting, said that Mr Kurselis was employed as a packer but was asked to paint gutterings and down pipes in preparation for a visit from a customer. Mr Kurselis initially used a ladder but changed and stood in a box which was lifted by a forklift truck to the required height. Mr Stevenson said: “Unfortunately the box tipped forward and Mr Kurselis fell. “Mr Kurselis was employed as a factory operative. His role was as a packer but on the day he was asked to do some painting. “The company was expecting a visit from a new customer and wanted the building to look more presentable. “He wasn’t given any training as to how to safely carry out that work. “There was an absence of any instruction and there was an absence of any supervision.” Fishgate Ltd of Brookenby Business Park, Binbrook, denied a charge of failing to discharge a duty of health, safety and welfare of an employee. The firm was convicted by a jury following a short trial and fined £100,000 and ordered to pay £19,032 prosecution costs The company is currently in administration and was not represented in court. Recorder Paul Mann QC, passing sentence, said: “Mr Kursilis was given no advice as to how to do this safely and no equipment apart from a tin of paint and a brush. “This was an accident waiting to happen. “He was very badly injured. He could so easily have been killed.”   Lincolnshire Reporter...

Worker loses fingers fixing a gate

| 28th July 2017 | Personal Injury

Company fined £8,000 after worker loses fingers fixing a gate A company has been fined £8,000 with cost of £2,080 following a Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation into the loss of an employee’s two middles fingers. After LKAB Minerals (Richmond) Ltd’s main entrance gate broke, they assigned the worker to fix it, during which both his fingers were severed. The HSE found the company failed to: • identify the risks of the worker doing this task • devise safety measures to ensure a safe way of working • provide information, instruction and training regarding the task • ensure the workers has the correct supervision and monitoring LKAB Minerals pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2 (1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 at the Sheffield Magistrates’ Court. LexisNexis and LNB News...

BT to pay damages to worker electrocuted by power line

| 10th July 2017 | Personal Injury

BT to pay damages to worker electrocuted by power line The claimant, cherry picker operator Ian Milroy, was injured by a ‘very high voltage electrocution’ while working as repair hoist operator for BT in August 2009. He and a colleague were checking a fault on a carrier pole, elevated in a cherry picker mounted on the back of a transit van. While moving the vehicle to allow a horse-rider to pass, Mr Milroy came into contact with the high-voltage power line. He suffered a cardiac arrest and a seizure, along with severe burns, fractures to his back and a brain injury. He has no memory of the accident, and has since experienced anxiety and depression. His lawyers sued BT on his behalf, but the company denied blame for the accident. At a hearing in February 2015, Mr Justice William Davis found BT two-thirds responsible for the accident, and ruled that the training given to Mr Milroy had not been adequate. On 26 June 2017, Judge David Pittaway QC approved a final settlement of Mr Milroy’s claim. The amount of the payment was confidential, but is a substantial sum given the extent of his injuries. Lexis Nexis and LNB News...

Worker's Hand Crushed At Work

| 12th May 2017 | Blogging

Steel firm fined £217,000 after worker’s hand is crushed Cardiff-based steel manufacturing company Rom Ltd has pleaded guilty to breaching safety regulations after a worker suffered crush injuries to his hand. A Health and Safety Executive investigation found the company failed to identify the risks associated with workers manually operating a machine, and that steps were not taken to ensure the machine was correctly guarded. The worker was removing leftover steel from a machine called the Koch Straightener when he trapped his hand between the rotating rollers inside the machine. He suffered serious crush injuries to his hand and lost the top of his right index finger. Rom Ltd pleaded guilty to breaching the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998, SI 1998/2306, r 11, and has been fined £200,000 and ordered to pay costs of £17,200.63.   LNB News and Lexisnexis...